Slow Monitoring and control startup¶
Starting up the standard VNC server and gui¶
This is a supplement to the detailed instructions found on the wiki pages Slowmoncon VNC connection linux, Slowmoncon VNC connection windows, and Slowmoncon VNC connection Mac. It includes some troubleshooting in case the VNC server is not running or the CSS gui is not running.
Note: In what follows, ubdaq-prod-ws02 can replace ubdaq-prod-ws01 anywhere in case ws01 is down, although there are some workspace files that need to be copied from
~/.ControlSystemStudio/krb5--as-ubooneshift-on-ubdaq-prod-ws02. A slow controls expert can help you with this.
1. Log into ubdaq-prod-ws01 using ssh to create a tunnel between a port on your local computer and port 5902 on ubdaq-prod-ws01. Example
ssh -L 5902:localhost:5902 ubdaq-prod-ws01
2. Use a VNC client on your local computer to connect to the shared vnc server. Example
Note the port on your local computer is used in the argument to the vncviewer command, and must match the first number in the ssh -L option above.
3. You should* be prompted for a "vnc password" by the vnc client. This password is XXXXsmc, where XXXX is a common MicroBooNE collaboration password
- * If you do not get prompted for the vnc password, the vnc server may not be running, or there may be some other problem. See SLC_-_Troubleshooting.
4. After entering the vnc password, you should* see the shared desktop on the ubooneshift account.
- If you have any other problem, including seeing a desktop but no CSS GUI, then see SLC_-_Troubleshooting.
5. Once you have the CSS gui running, you may be prompted to "Enter the secure storage password", particularly if you open a Data Browser or the Alarm Panel. You can find this password in the Project tab of the ECL together with all the other passwords.