NuMI beamline documentation¶
This is a clearing house and set of links to documents describing the NuMI beam. If you add a link to a document please make sure it is publicly viewable.
Also see: The FNAL drawing database Must be at FNAL or have a VPN connection.
- The NuMI Techical Design Handbook, parameter book, and beamsheet Taken from the NuMI at work webpage
- Jim Hylen's talk on NuMI operating conditions Aug 8, 2014 - numix-doc-68. The document describes differences between the LE and ME configuration, horn current calibration, target position, alignment, beam spot size, water spray in the horns, argon in the horns, etc. A good summary of systematic issues.
- Detailed note on the horn current calibration from the LE running - minos-doc-1303 Note, situation in ME is different.
- Detailed note on the position of NT-03 in the LE run - minos-doc-6473 Specifies the procedure that was used to determine the target position relative to horn 1. Has multiple engineering drawings that can be used to vet the MC geometry of the horns and target. Note: In the Aug 8, 2014 meeting Jim Hylen mentioned that the MCZERO point corresponds to the upstream end of the idealized horns, i.e., those without the curved section that can be seen in old documents like the NuMI TDR. In order to determine its location in the simulation one needs to compute the position based on the distance to the neck of the horn.
- The position of the target during the LE run - minos-doc-9314 A table showing the target position for all LE runs.
- Fermilab NOvA Target Group Webpage Loads of drawings of the target, baffle, etc.
- Two Horns Focusing System for the NuMI Project minos-doc-471 IHEP design study of the horn focusing system, from 1999. Beware this was a study, not the actual design.
- Calculations and Mapping of the Magnetic Field in the Prototype Horn 1 - minos-doc-710 From IHEP Protvino, written in 2000. The document has both calculations and measurements. Includes calculations of the fields near the horn spray holes, the effect of eccentricity, and calculated fields at the downstream end of the horn where the water drains are.
- Magnetic Field Mapping of NuMI Horn PH1-03 - minos-doc-6122 Done by Jim Hylen et al.
- Effects of Horn2 Current Asymmetry - minos-doc-4094 A study on the effect that an asymmetry in the horn current would have. The motivation a scenario with a failed spray nozzle and non uniform horn temperatures.
- Horn magnetic field investigations - numix-doc-59 M. Kordosky recalculates the skin-depth effect and finds that the systematic wasn't being handled right in MINOS.
- Beam Based Alignment of the NuMI Horns Target and Baffle - minos-doc-4828 Not sure if this talk contains the official and final numbers from the study but does describe the method pretty well.
- Water in the horns: LBNE horn 1 inner conductor cooling study - minerva-doc-10254 Motivation for simulating a water layer on the inner conductor of the horns.