MCenter Control Room (MC-CR) x3726 or x8871
- Call the Main Control Room (x3721) at the start and at the end of shift. This is required, and pleasant.
- If the beam goes away for more than a few spills, look for Accelerator Alarms in ACNET (a default window). If the problem persists a few minutes, and you see nothing about it in the MCR elog, (or you just really want to find out more), call the MCR. They're friendly, though they may be super-busy.
- Table of contents
- Shifter Stuff
- Hardware Connections and Configurations
- Electronic Hardware Documentation
- Diagnostic and Control Software
- Examining the WC mini DAQ ASCII data
- Data Files from the year 2013
Link summary ( quick start )¶
- LArIAT e-Log For making/ending access, starting/ending shifts.
- LArIAT Run 1 DAQ Instructions (March 2015)
- LArIAT Run Status Webpage
- LArIAT Online DQM (works with VPN or on-site only, for now)
- How to use the event viewers
- How to make DQM plots (may be outdated)
- Beam monitoring
- Accelerator Operations Elog
- MC7 WebCam
- List of MC7 ACNET devices
- MC-7 Enclosure Layout
- In case the beam TVs are off
- The LArIAT supercycle How DAQ operations relate to the main injector supercycle
- Electronic Hardware Documentation
LArIAT Engineering Run (Aug 2014) How to Run the Lariat Data Acquisition(OBSOLETE) Shifter Instructions August 2014(Some obsolete information) How to make Lariat DAQ Plots(OBSOLETE)
Any time day or night, please call experts if you are in need of help and the answer is not provided below.
Trouble getting started¶
- If you cannot ssh to FTBFLX machines: Get a kerberos ticket for yourself:
kinit <yourKerberosPrincipal>, then ssh ftbf_user@ftbflx01 (or whichever machine...).
- If your Kerberos username and password are good, but you can't log on to FTBFLX[NN] machines: Have someone who CAN log into those machines heck that your kerberos principal appears in
~ftbf_user/.k5loginin the LArIAT section.
Trigger and DAQ system¶
- If the DAQ is having trouble talking to the crates, try issuing the command
lariatReset 0 1waiting more then 5 seconds, and trying again.
- If the trigger crate has been power cycled and the V1495 is not emitting triggers: Reset1495
- If the DAQ cannot initialize, and you suspect the configuration XML files were changed recently, check their formatting. XML Checker
- When the DAQ crashes, please post the relevant information to DAQerrors for experts to study.
- If the wire chambers are acting strangely: remote power cycling instructions including mini-DAQ and telnet interface.
- If the wire chamber system is skipping spill numbers, it may be a high trigger rate (> 30 k per spill). The wire chamber controller may still be reading out the hits from the last spill.
Power Cycle the ASICs (TPC Wire Noise)¶
- Anecdotal evidence has shown that analog noise on the TPC wire readout channels can be
alleviated by power cycling the TPC electronics: ASICs and Warm Receiver/Drivers
- You can remotely power cycle the TPC electronics via the web site http://lariat-pdu02.fnal.gov
logging in as user "ftbf". Choose the CYCLE option, which will automatically give a 60
second powerless interlude.
- Further important informations can be found on the white board in MC-CR.
- This mechanism is controlled by a smart power distribution unit (PDU) located under the
TPC electronics power supply near the cryostat in the enclosure. Due to electrical safety
rules you must NOT use any of the other outlets on this PDU. Do NOT remove the protective
outlet covers at any time.
Recover from a LAr level interlock¶
Assuming the LAr Level dropped low enough to trip off the TPC Cathode power supply, and maybe you even powered down the PMTs.
- Be sure HV is set to zero for these: Cathode Drift, Wire Bias, cryo-PMTs
How to control the Drift HV
- Power down the ASICs. (They should be off when TPC voltages change.)
- Bring up the Cathode
- Bring up the Wire Bias
- Bring up the ASICs
- Bring up the PMTs
Hardware Connections and Configurations¶
- TPC Channel Mapping
- Non-TPC Detectors Naming and numbering in MC7
- Cable Patch Panel Spreadsheet
- Connections on the Control Room Patch Panel
- Logical inputs to the CAEN V1740
- Connections into the WUT TDC
- Connections into the V1751 Digitizer
- Connections in/out of the V1495 Trigger
- Logic pulse widths and discriminator thresholds
- WUT configuration
- Timing of ACnet TCLK Events
- The Teensy LAr ASIC controller's configuration
Electronic Hardware Documentation¶
- Link to LArIAT eLog http://dbweb0.fnal.gov/ECL/lariat
- LariatOnlineGit Accessing the LArIAT Online GIT repository
- Building LArIATOnline with CMake
- LArIAT TPC Readout Parameters
- LArIAT DAQ Commercial Products Technical Documentation and Firmware Files
- LArIAT CAEN Products Technical Documentation and Firmware Files
- Test Beam Wire Chamber Sten Hensen's TDC Readout Documentation
- WUT Wave Union TDC: Jinyuan's TDC Documentation
- v1495 notes Notes and working area for the V1495 and V2718
- DAQ Configuration settings, parameters, starting a run
- Raw Data Format and Readout Source code
- All things lariat-artdaq (UPDATED 11/5/14)
- Interpreting Wire Chamber TDC Data
- LArIAT Test Stand Photographs
Diagnostic and Control Software¶
Test programs in the lariat-online/daq/src directory
- CAEN's WaveDump utility
Examining the WC mini DAQ ASCII data¶
The Processor makes TTrees from the ASCII files saved by
WC MiniDAQ Data Processor
Data Files from the year 2013¶
Data files for various beam conditions can be found in the DataFiles page.