LArIAT Run 1 Shifter Instructions » History » Version 47
LArIAT Run 1 Shifter Instructions¶
Please don't hesitate to contact the experts when something doesn't look right!!!¶
Before starting the first run of the shift¶
- Check the pressure in the wire chambers’ gas bottle and the slow bubbles in the wire chambers’ gas panel “Return” bubblers. If you don’t know how to do it or where it is, shame on us we haven’t showed you yet (see Wire Chamber Gas/Electronics Instructions).
- Log in to ftbflx15 with username =
ftbf_user. Password is YOUR kerberos password, then it will ask for YOUR kerberos principal.
- Open a terminal window. If "klist" doesn't show that you have a valid kerberos ticket, get one:
- Open in a new tab Operations Elog This is the Main Control Room (MCR) Elog. Use it to check any possible problem affecting the MCenter beam.
- Open in a new tab Using ACNET for monitoring This page contains the instructions to monitor the beam status through ACNET. In case you are allergic to ACNET or willing to try something new, monitoring of both detector and beam can be done through Synoptic
During the shift¶
If you have questions, call an expert! LArIAT Call List
What beam should I request? The Run Plan lists current and upcoming beam requests, along with the other MCenter activities going on.
Starting a new run¶
- Open in a new tab LArIAT Run 1 DAQ Instructions and follow the instructions to start a new run.
- Make an entry on the LArIAT e-Log when starting a new run. Use the form "New Run" to report all the information in the relative fields.
- Change/check the trigger configuration see V1495 Shifter Instructions
During an ongoing run¶
- Monitor the beam status using the instructions in the Using ACNET for monitoring, namely
- the S60 page of ACNET and
- the profile plots for MC7WC1 and MC7WC2.
- From ~ftbf_user/acnet, run
./LArIATViewer.shto open the Synoptic displays.
- Monitor the run status (run number, number of spills, number of triggers, etc) through the LArIAT Run Status Webpage
- After a new run is started check the run number. The number should be sequential when comparing to the previous runs. If the number has reset to a low number such as 1 stop ther run and then edit /opt/lariat-online/config/runNumber.dat to correct the run number. Start new run after.
- Monitor the quality of the data by producing DQM plots in the first few spills, and also for the full run. Add them to the e-log.
- Monitor the data flow out of the DAQ machine and over to Enstore (tape storage): "The Files Waiting for Tape" should increase steadily during hours of data-taking (they will sometimes drop suddenly, as large batches of files are sent to tape all at once. In "Recent completed transfers" you should also see files from your recent runs and sub-runs (/spill). Email Jason St. John if the number of error files increases when you take data, or if the number of files waiting for tape does not increase during an hour or more of data-taking. (FTS has about 10 minutes latency, we think.)
When the run has ended¶
- From the e-log entry which started this run, make a related entry summarizing the run. Add the final DQM plots, and from the trigger plot summarize the number of v1751 triggers (board 0 only), and the same for the V1740's.
At the end of the shift¶
- Make an entry in the e-Log using the form "Shift Summary" summing up the relevant information from the shift. Include the total trigger counts for the v1751's, v1740's, and the TDCs for each beam and trigger setting combination from the shift. For any other information to be posted in the e-Log during the shift use the "default" form.
- IF YOU ARE THE LAST SHIFTER OF THE DAY:
- Lower to zero the wire chambers voltages, turn off the wire chambers power supplies and NIM bin. THEN, turn off the gas flow in the wire chambers using the instructions in Wire Chamber Gas/Electronics Instructions.
- Call MCR to stop the beam and put the enclosure into open access (the open access rule is valid only till we'll be ready for the cryostat filling).
Remember to call MCR at the beginning and ending of each shift!!!