LArIAT Run 1 Shifter Instructions -- This page is obsolete as of February 2016. New page: LArIAT Run 2 Shifter Instructions¶
Remember to call MCR at the beginning and ending of each shift!!!
Please don't hesitate to contact the experts when something doesn't look right!!!
Before starting the first run of the shift¶
- Check the pressure in the wire chambers’ gas bottle and the slow bubbles in the wire chambers’ gas panel “Return” bubblers. If you don’t know how to do it or where it is, shame on us we haven’t showed you yet (see Wire Chamber Gas/Electronics Instructions).
- Log in to with username =
ftbf_user. Password is YOUR kerberos password, then it will ask for YOUR kerberos principal.
- Open a terminal window. If "klist" doesn't show that you have a valid kerberos ticket, get one:
- If ftbf_user is already logged in - reset the kerberos ticket: kdestroy and then
- not always keep running properly after such reset, so it's recommended to restart (see instructions in the next point)
- Open in a new tab Using ACNET for monitoring This page contains the instructions to monitor the beam status through ACNET. Also open Synoptic
- Open Operations Elog This is the Main Control Room (MCR) Elog. Use it to check any possible problem affecting the MCenter beam.
- Log the previous shifter out of the LArIAT Elog (if they are logged in), and log yourself in. Make a new entry with the "Start of Shift Checklist" form.
- Open the Run Summary
During the shift¶If you have questions, call an expert! LArIAT Call List
Or, Skype an expert! How to access skype:
- On the ftbf_user account:
- "cd ~/Downloads/skype-184.108.40.206"
- You can find the password in the top right blue box of the whiteboard in the control room.
What beam should I request? The Run Plan lists current and upcoming beam requests, along with the other MCenter activities going on.
Starting a new run¶
- Open in a new tab LArIAT Run 1 DAQ Instructions and follow the instructions to start a new run.
- Make an entry on the LArIAT e-Log when starting a new run. Use the form "New Run" to report all the information in the relative fields.
- Change/check the DAQ configuration see DAQ Configuration Instructions
- Changing gain or filter times in the ASICS: check that there was Teensy Output in the initialization spew from the DAQ.
During an ongoing run¶
- Monitor the beam status using the instructions in the Using ACNET for monitoring, namely
- the S60 page of ACNET and
- the profile plots for MC7WC1 and MC7WC2.
- From ~ftbf_user/acnet, run
./LArIATViewer.shto open the Synoptic displays.
- Run Status Webpage to monitor the run status (run number, number of spills, number of triggers, etc)
- Online DQM to check basic data integrity.
- Did the run number fail to increment? If the number has reset to a low number such as 1 stop ther run and then edit /opt/lariat-online/config/runNumber.dat to correct the run number. Start new run after.
- Monitor the quality of the data by looking at DQM plots at the in the first few spills, and at end of a run, add them to the e-log.
- Use the event viewer to see TPC events. See Event Viewer Instructions . If you in the e-log, . It's much easier to search for them later!
- Useful: Recent run history , python scripts for making DQM plots
Important! Follow instructions in link below if cathode HV trips off due to LAr level interlock.
Drift HV TPC Cathode Voltage
*If a VME PS has to be turned off in an emergency situation (e.g. problem with TPC PMTs) - turn off the regulate function first, then put the decreasing voltage values in the quick ramp widnow, go to 0 and then turn off!
h3. When the run has ended
- From the e-log entry which started this run, make a related entry summarizing the run. Add the final DQM plots (tab "Home" in the Online DQM ) , and from the trigger plot summarize the number of v1751 triggers (board 0 only), and the same for the V1740's.
At the end of the shift¶
- Make an entry in the e-Log using the form "Shift Summary" summing up the relevant information from the shift. Include the total trigger counts for the v1751's, v1740's, and the TDCs for each beam and trigger setting combination from the shift. For any other information to be posted in the e-Log during the shift use the "default" form.
- IF NO SHIFTER IS TAKING OVER FROM YOU
- Call MCR to stop the beam
- Also ask the MCR to release a key so you can put the enclosure into open access. (The open access rule is valid only till we'll be ready for the cryostat filling).