How to use the online monitoring » History » Version 29
- Table of contents
- How to use the online monitoring
How to use the online monitoring¶
The online-monitoring can be accessed from both off-site locations, though a web-browser, and on-site locations using either a web-browser or the Synoptic viewer (Java application).
1) Opening the web-viewer or the java viewer application¶
If you are off-site, you will only be able to look at the displays. No settings are possible from outside Fermilab.
1) Open a browser and go to the Synoptic website
2) Click on the LArIAT folder, this will expand the contents. Then click on the "Displays Main menu" link.
There are 2 possibilities, depending on whether you wish to only look at the displays or do settings / interact with the displays (i.e. zoom in, zoom out etc.)
1) If you only wish to look at the displays, please follow the procedure described in the previous section. Otherwise follow the next steps.
2) Get a Kerberos ticket, otherwise the viewer will shut down.
3) Open a browser and launch the viewer (Java required).
4) Click on the button shown by the arrow to get started.
Note: If this is not the first time you are opening a viewer, you will have a pop-up window showing the latest displays used. You can either choose the display you'd like to look at from there or you can just close that window and start from the beginning.
5) Expand the LArIAT folder by clicking (double-clicking) on it and open the displays main menu.
From the FTBF MCenter Control Room computers (ftbflx10 and ftbflx11)¶
1) Open a console.
2) Go to /home/nfs/ftbf_user/acnet.
3) Run the launch_acnet program. This will get automatically a kerberos ticket with settings permissions and launch and acnet console.
4) Go to page D99:
The D menu is generally automatically opened when launching an ACNET console, just search among the opened windows or type D in the top left corner and hit enter twice to get to the second page. Click on 99 - Synoptic Viewer:
or type D99 directly in the top left corner:
This will launch the Synoptic viewer.
Note: Do not open Synoptic Viewer through a web-browser since the application will have some issues in finding the kerberos ticket thus doing settings won't be possible
2) The displays main menu¶
This is the main menu. Click on the menu to open the display / control panel you would like to look at.
Note: All the displays have a button that allows you to go back to the main menu, generally at the bottom right corner of the display.
3) Summary plots¶
Unless you need to change some setting, these are probably the displays you will need to look at most of the time.
4) A control display example¶
Settings are disabled by default. This means you can zoom in / out on the plots but cannot change any setting.
1) To enable settings, click on the button on the bottom right hand corner and select for how long you wish to enable the settings.
2) To turn on / off an power supply, click on the on / off button. A window will pop-up for confirmation. When the supply is on, the light should be green.
3) Turn on the regulate function (the light will turn green). This is to have an output voltage that matches the set voltage, otherwise there is a small offset.
4) Click on the button in the green frame "Set voltage" (in volts) next to the power supply you would like to set a voltage to. A window will pop up, enter the value including the "-" sign and validate. If you enter a positive value, nothing will happen. You will have to re-enter a value.
5) The selected supply readout voltage should indicate the new output voltage. Please wait until the reading stabilizes before changing to another value. This might take a few seconds.
Current can be readout in the bottom left hand side of the display. The top plot shows the voltage as a function of time, the bottom plot is the current as a function of time.
Note: To power off a supply, please set the voltage to 0 first and then turn it off. Do not forget to turn it off!
5) Closing / Restarting the displays (please read before closing any display!)¶
Should a display crash or should you wish to close it, just click on the top right hand corner red cross. Plots are reset when the display is closed so do not close a display unless it is really necessary.
Because of some recent changes on the Java platform, you might have do to some tweaks to the Java security parameters. If you get an error that says that the application cannot be launched because it is from an unknown source / signature, please do the following:
1) Open the Java control panel. How to access it varies according to the OS (Google is your friend). You might have to launch it with admin privileges.
2) Select the security tab.
3) Drop the security to medium level.
5) Validate. You might have to restart the computer for this changes to take effect.
Note: Make sure you type "http" and not "https". The latter will not work.
LArIAT contact: Flor de Maria Blaszczyk (Louisiana State University), firstname.lastname@example.org
Need a new display? Don't understand something? Please let me know! All suggestions and comments are welcome.
Synoptic support: email@example.com