Admin guide » History » Version 10
- Table of contents
- The experiment environment setup script
- Experiment-specific hooks
The experiment environment setup script¶
Every experiment has a script for initializing its standard software environment installed in a standard place. This script may do any or all of the following things.
- Initialize ups products system and products areas.
- Set up some basic ups products.
- Set environment variables.
This section the recommended way of writing this script.
After initializing ups, the following should be the case:
- The executable
upsshould be on the execution path.
- Command or alias
setupshould be defined.
- The products path (environment variable
PRODUCTS) should be defined as a colon-separated list of ups products areas.
With respect to the last point, the products path may include the following ups products areas (in order).
- Experiment-specific products (e.g.
- Larsoft products (for larsoft experiments, e.g.
- Fermilab common products (e.g.
Generally, ups is initialized by sourcing a script called "
setups" (or "
setups.sh" or "
setups.csh", the name can vary) from some standard place. It is acceptable to source multiple "
setups" scripts from multiple products areas, as well as extending the products path to include additional products areas manually.
For larsoft experiments on nodes where the
/grid/fermiapp filesystem is mounted, the main
setups file path is
When initializing ups from the oasis cvmfs products area, the main larsoft
setups file path is
Ups products setup¶
The experiment setup script may set up some basic ups products. Any ups product that is setup in the experiment setup script should be setup as a "current" version. Any product that requires a numbered version or qualifier in the setup command should not be setup in the experiment setup script. Microboone's experiment script sets up the following products that are used by the build environment.
Here are some environment variables that must or can be set.
- MRB_PROJECT - should be set as "larsoft" for larsoft experiments that use mrb.
- FW_SEARCH_PATH - Art framework file search path.
The standard experiment name may be defined in several different environment variables.
- EXPERIMENT - Used by
- SAM_EXPERIMENT - Used by
- JOBSUB_GROUP - Used by