Some users have expressed an interest in migrating their existing CVS repositories
to Git. This wiki page will attempt to walk you through the process. We'll be showing
the commands you type and the output you get in the following format:
There are a few steps to converting CVS modules to Git here on cdcvs:
- Finding your existing cvs module
- checking for space requirements
- environment setup
- running cvs2git
- undumping into the repository
We'll go through them in detail.
Finding your existing module¶
You need to know the $CVSROOT value for your repository for this part. You can look in a checked-out
copy at the CVS/Root file if you're not sure what it is. The examples here will be as if you had a Redmine-created
repository 'myproject', which would have a $CVSROOT value of email@example.com/cvs/projects/myproject.
You want to ssh into cdcvs using the user@cdcvs part of your $CVSROOT.
Then change directories to the directory part of your $CVSROOT.
Check for space¶
There needs to be at least double the space your package takes free for the conversion.
So the Available space (the 74259872 in the above example) must be atleast double the size of the project (800 in the above example) to consider proceeding. If it isn't, or it's within 10% or so, please put in a servicedesk ticket, and ask us to grow the filesystem.
Setup your environment¶
You'll probably need to use the cvs 1.12 that we use behind Redmine to do the conversion, and with
our /usr/local/bin/cvs_wrap script to hide some WARNINGS it gives that cvs2git doesn't like.
Run the cvs2git tool¶
Then actually setup the git repository, and pull in the dump that cvs2git made
Setup for http access¶
If your repository is affiliated with a Redmine project, you can now set Redmine to look at your new repository.
- Go to the Settings tab of your project
- Click on the sub-tab.
- Click on the Delete link next to the current repository (this doesn't delete the actual files, just Redmine's info about where the repository is).
- Click the New repository link
- Choose "Git" for the SCM
- Check the Main Repository checkbox
- Put the full path to your new my-project.git directory in the Path to repository box.