New Road Map¶
See also Old Road Map, for historical reference.
Short term work¶
- Investigate what needs to be done to use igprof for data collection, and to convert the collected data into our canonical format; this has the possible advantage of using their symbol resolution mechanism
- Investigate the possibility of adding to igprof in-program symbol resolution
- Investigate using a technique different from dlsym to do symbol mapping, fixing the problem we have with local symbol resolution. This is partially resolved on platforms that support libunwind's get_proc_name accessor (depends on proc filesystem).
More speculative work¶
- Help with installation of additional tools PTU, perfmon2, TAU, ...
- Use something like TAU for producing robust call paths to use as validation for our collected call paths.
Goals completed but in need of further testing¶
- Get enough reliability to allow useful runs of cmsRun/Geant4 to be taken. At this point, SimpleProfiler needs to be tested under the stress of the full experiment but functions reliably in a limited 100 event run.
- Test function tracking features to verify correctness while profiling of programs that violate the One Definition Rule.
- Determine newest usable version of libunwind for 32-bit/64-bit systems and note anomalies. SimpleProfiler has been tested with the most recent commit at the time of this writing, commit 99e60be5a4c8bc9076d1b11e89a06f85d9da7b88 commited on 8 Jun 2010.