Onboarding Instructions for Remote Observing¶
Access to the various remote observing services is via a Fermilab Services Account.
You don't have to do this if you are already onboarded onto a Fermilab experiment, such as DES.
To get a Fermilab Services Account do the following.
- Go to the web page https://fermi.service-now.com/kb_view.do?sysparm_article=KB0010797
- Follow the instructions on this page. You will most likely be an off-site visitor. Eventually you will get to this form: https://fermi.service-now.com/new_acct_request.do
- Note that on the account request form there is a drop-down menu with the list of institution and experiment affiliations, if you don't know what experiment to select (e.g. DES or SDSS or DESI) please use Fermilab Center for Particle Astrophysics otherwise there will be a delay in your ID request being routed to the correct person for approval. You will also need to put in a contact person. You may put my name down for that (Liz Buckley-Geer; email@example.com; x8650). Since you are on this page because you want to do remote observing, it will be helpful to add that information in the "Additional comments" field, along with what project you are doing remote observing for.
- Please make a note of the automatically generated password that you will see on the ID request form. You will need it for the next step. WARNING: This temporary password will expire if you don't complete the next step in less than a week.
- You will receive an email from Fermilab telling you that your account is now created.
- Once you receive this email you need to change the initial password (https://passwordreset.fnal.gov/showLogin.cc). When you register with the password reset tool you should select the SERVICES domain.
- If you failed to write down the initial password from step 2 or you have left it too long after receiving the email then you will need to get your password reset. To do this call the Service Desk on (+1)630-840-2345.
- Your Services password expires every 6 months. You will receive an email alerting you to this. It will be sent to the email address that you used when you filled out the initial account request. If you change this email address then you should submit a Service Desk ticket and request that it be updated. Your ID also expires periodically. If your ID expires you will lose access to Redmine. You will receive an email alerting you to the expiry of your ID - it also uses the email you supplied in your account request. DO NOT IGNORE IT. If your account expires because your visitor ID expires then you can renew it on this web page https://fermi.service-now.com/renew_acct_request.do
- The remote observing is done in Remote Operations Center West, otherwise known as ROC-West. To enter ROC-West, you will need to get an actual Fermilab ID card. You do that when you arrive at the lab. The office is near the security office on the lowest level of Wilson Hall.
- More about Remote Observing @ Fermilab see https://des-docdb.fnal.gov/cgi-bin/private/ShowDocument?docid=12134
- Ting Notes see https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GT4qqnBWrycDa3hsiRCXYAEHA0RdDQjJ-oFvDxPOJec/edit#heading=h.uzd6x3snj9vz