End of Half-Night Checklist¶
This are the end of half-night instructions for both observers. The pre-formatted checklist in the eLog has been superseded by the nightsum tool.Observer 1:
- Observer(s) Present:
- Midpoint handover to community observers:
- Once an exposure is placed on the observing queue, the PropID and other details are set.
- Therefore, once the last exposure is placed on the queue you can go to "System Control" tab of SISPI and click "Edit" then "Clear" to reset the observer and proposal information.
- You can now turn over SISPI control to the community observer to allow them to enter their information and get setup
- However, make sure that the final DES observation completes before the night "Midpoint". (The handover is complete when the last DES observation finishes.)
- If waiting for Obs2 to finish pubsum, it would be very kind, to our fellow Blanco users, if you could collect dirty cups and do the washing up.
- Determine the time for handover to community observers
- In kentools, run "ephem" to find the night "Midpoint"
- Decide whether to take 1 or 2 sets of Standard Star sequences
- Determine time for Observer 1 to stop obstac (allocate ~7 minutes for each set of standard stars; more if long slew required)
- Summarize Shift (mostly done by Observer 2):
- (List engineering tests, downtime cause and length, extra dome closures, extra images, unusual events, comments)
- Maybe each of these is a separate field.
- Follow Observer 2 End of Night procedure
- Night Summary Submitted (Only for DES) [Y/N]:
- CTIO End-of-Night Report [Y/N]:
CTIO expects ALL observers to fill in the "CTIO End of Night" report. The Observer Support person on duty can show how, if need be. Cut and paste from the DES nightsum is appropriate for some of the material needed. This youtube link [_not working in Jan'14_] provides directions for filling out the end of night reports.
- Goto www.ctio.noao.edu/noao/
- Login (username and password will be provided by the operations manager)
- Goto Astronomers --> Observing --> Create Night Report
- Make sure to click on "Add another program" when editing to allow the 2nd half observer to enter details of their observing program.
- DO NOT submit the End-of-Night Report; this tab should be left open for the 2nd half observer to complete and submit the report
- Cleanup the observer2 desktop.