Daily check list » History » Version 68
Run Manager's daily check list¶
- Perform Observer 1 and 2 End Of Night Checklists if the observers didn't do it (see their instructions).
- Write the Synopsis_Night logbook entry if the observers didn't do it.
- Publish the nightsum in the morning if the observers didn't do it.
- Complete CTIO end of night report if the observers didn't do it (if you had two operators, make sure both names appear). Check the calendar to see the status of the night reports.
- Be aware of our observers arrival to and departure from the mountain.
- Prepare the nightly observing plan page, including populating Almanac and Weather info (go to the Shifters page (link for Y5) and scroll to - and then click on - today's date.) Top tip: populate the new page with the contents from the previous night, and then edit. That way you won't forget the info to include.
- Check the instrument status (read the logbook, talk to people)
- Check the DM status
- Check SISPI status
- Check what scripts are needed/present for calibration
- Take a first look at the DESDM data quality results table Anything unusual should be discussed at the 4pm meeting. Typically you won't accept the results until after the 4pm meeting.
- Send out the agenda for the 4pm meeting (if to occur) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check diskspace. Log into one of the observer machines as user "sispi" (password on white board) and execute the commands below. If any disks are filling up (>90% for observer2, >93% for the pipeline machines) send an email to Klaus and Ann (email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org)
added by Kathy R 10/17: I didn't have any success logging in using su sispi from observer3 but ssh -X sispi@observer3 did work
setup SISPI check_diskspace
- Before the 4pm meeting check with telops if SISPI instance and the GUIs were restarted. You could also do this by checking if they completed a "2 PM Checklist" in the eLog, or looking at the "Uptime" field in the Architect Console GUI.
- Perform the aTmCam afternoon check
- Attend the 4pm meeting (this is usually chaired by someone at Fermilab, but occasionally you might have to do it)
- Edit the observing plan (go to the Shifters page (link for Y5) and scroll to - and then click on - today's date.) Top tip: populate the new page with the contents from the previous night, and then edit. That way you won't forget the info to include. Differences in the plan do occur from night to night: these are usually discussed at the 4pm meeting.
- Check that telops have started the afternoon calibration flat fielding scripts.
- Perform the Late Afternoon Checklist in the logbook. (link to logbook that only works at CTIO) See below, for some of the information that is asked for in the logbook:
- check the SN processing status [for this you need a password that would be the first 3 letters of your Services username + docdbpw (the inaccurate info about how many CCDs) ]
- Implement the data quality (= "fill out the Survey Table") If you didn't have a 4pm meeting, then you need to check with DESDM before doing the implementation if you think any of their true/false flags are erroneous. (Note that it is OK to implement the data quality later in the evening/night if you didn't do it sooner--it won't mess up the data from that night.)
- Make sure observers are present and roles are defined/understood
Examples of things to enter into the logbook
Overview of how calibrations are done (these will be done by Telops, don't attempt them yourself!)
- names of the observers
- the "SISPI Instance": The format is DECam_YYYYMMDD
- name of the script used to perform the afternoon calibrations (most likely this will be prenight_zeros_flats.json)
- confirmation that the morning (i.e. dawn of the day you are in at the moment) calibration has been completed
- confirmation that the afternoon (i.e. about now on the day you are in at the moment) calibration has been completed
- Verify Dome is Closed
- Verify Dome Flat Setup (ask Telops) Dome Flat setup
- Turn VSUB on
- Submit Afternoon Calibration Script (/user/sispi/decam/ExposureScripts/DECam/prenight_zeros_flats.json):
- Check a few exposures on the Comfort Display. Is the focal plane complete?
- When script is done, in kentools (on observer2), perform "flatCheck"
- Make sure the observers understand what they are doing
- Make sure the observers get off to a good start
- Periodically check wind speed, TelOPS will lower/raise screens if needed.
- Be available to the observers if they have questions or problems
- Try to get some sleep