Nightly Observing Plan for MJD 58391 (starting evening of October 09, 2018)¶
DES has the full night.
- Kathy Vivas (observer 1)
- Clara Martinez (observer 2)
- Kathy Vivas (Run Manager)
- Hernan Tirado
- Alberto Alvarez
- Staff calendar
mjd 58401, date 20181009, Site CTIO, UT-offset 3 hr Current local time 17:08 CLST UT 20:08 SidTim 16:39 Event Local-Time Greenwich Sidereal-Time Sunset 19:56 CLST 22:56 UT 19:27 292 deg Moonset 20:30 CLST 23:30 UT 20:01 300 deg Eve. -10 20:31 CLST 23:31 UT 20:02 300 deg Zeropoint; standards Eve. -14 20:51 CLST 23:51 UT 20:22 306 deg Begin obstac Eve. -18 21:10 CLST 00:10 UT 20:41 310 deg Last chance standards Midpoint 01:30 CLST 04:30 UT 01:01 15 deg Morn -18 05:49 CLST 08:49 UT 05:20 80 deg Begin astronomical twilight Morn -14 06:08 CLST 09:08 UT 05:39 85 deg End obstac; begin standards Morn -10 06:28 CLST 09:28 UT 05:59 90 deg Sunrise 07:03 CLST 10:03 UT 06:34 98 deg Moon position (deg): RA 209.7, Dec -6.3 Phase: 0.063
Observing Plan and Goals for the Night¶
- DES full night
- Evening standards
UT Date = '2018/10/09 23:31' Local time = 20:31 SDSSJ2300-0000 ra 23:00:00 dec +00:00:00 secz 1.6 E8-A ra 20:07:22 dec -44:37:01 secz 1.0
- If clouds remain and it doesn't rain, run DECal
- We want to do 5 (half of the) reverberation mapping jsons today on deadman starting at the beginning of night. * Then if seeing isn't "Bad", we do Obstac.
- Obstac as long as seeing is < 1.6 arcsec
- If bad seeing: top priority is reverberation mapping.
- After that: if bad seeing (1.6 arcsec < seeing < 2.0) and clear: Photosweeps
- Otherwise if bad seeing (seeing > 1.6 arcsec) and not clear, or very bad seeing (seeing > 2.0 arcsec): Narrowband
- Morning standards
UT Date = '2018/10/10 09:08' Local time = 06:08 SDSSJ0200-0000 ra 02:00:00 dec +00:00:00 secz 2.0 SDSSJ0320-0000 ra 03:20:00 dec +00:00:00 secz 1.4 C26202/HST ra 03:32:30 dec -27:46:05 secz 1.1
Notes from 4PM Meeting¶
Priorities (highest to lowest)¶
Reverberation Mapping (seeing < 2.5)¶
- See https://cdcvs.fnal.gov/redmine/projects/desops/wiki/Y6_reverberation_mapping_program.
If "seeing is Bad" & Seeing better than 2.5" Modest cloud cover okay (same as DES probably okay)
10 json scripts, one for each SN fields. Total 98 minutes.
see http://des-ops.fnal.gov:8080/prednight/ for transit times.
The reverberation scripts use SN field pointings, and can be found in
with names like: reverb_SN-C1.json
Photosweeps (seeing < 2.0)¶
- If RM is finished & If "Bad Seeing" and photometric and not worse than 2.0" => do Photosweep.
Do not bother with this program if clouds are visible on Rasicam or if seeing is highly variable, for
the varying aperture corrections make it difficult to get to mmag accuracy.
One needs to run a python script at CTIO to generate the jsons.
having done that THE Photosweep scripts can be found in
with names like: photosweep20180914-2200Z.json
Select the one with timestamp closest to the next top of hour, now in UT (we got the z added).
Do not bother with this is there's < 30 minutes left in the night.
A script probably takes an hour.
- If "Bad Seeing" and not photometric, then do narrowband. Description:
Narrowband scripts are in the same directory as photosweep.
Names like SN-C3X-N964.json
They are on the SN fields, so select the field that is closest to transit.
These are expected to be about an hour long. If the clouds are only
moderate, we could do these.
Put in the DQ as normal.
Obstac if seeing isn't bad.