DES Onboarding Instructions¶
Contact: Liz Buckley-Geer <email@example.com>
Access to the various DES services is via a Fermilab Services account. Please be aware that some new account requests are now taking more than a month to complete. To get one of these do the following:
- Go to the web page https://fermi.service-now.com/kb_view.do?sysparm_article=KB0010797
- Follow the instructions on this page. You will most likely be an off-site visitor. Eventually you will get to this form: https://fermi.service-now.com/new_acct_request.do
- If you are a Fermilab employee, e.g. a summer intern, then you should just send an email to Liz Buckley-Geer; firstname.lastname@example.org; x8650 asking to be put on the DES experiment. Then skip to step 6, which will happen after Liz adds you to the group. DO STEP 8!.
- Note that on the account request form there is a drop-down menu with the list of institution and experiment affiliations, please select Dark Energy Survey or E-939 (DES) Dark Energy otherwise there will be a delay in your ID request being routed to the correct person for approval. You will also need to put in a contact person. You may put my name down for that (Liz Buckley-Geer; email@example.com; x8650). If you are an External Collaborator or located at a non-DES institution, it is helpful to add some extra information in the "Additional comments" field.
- NOTE: If you are NOT a United States citizen you must provide a curriculum vitae (CV) or resume when requesting on-site or remote access to conduct research at Fermilab. This also applies to legal permanent residents. If you indicate on the form that you are not a US citizen then three text boxes will show up that need to be filled out with your science and technology specialties, your work positions with no gaps in time and the current/accurate names of all academic institutions attended.
- Basic Computer Security training is required to be completed at the time the request for a new or renewed account is made. There will be a link to the training material on the request form, and you must provide confirmation that you completed training upon form submission.
- You will receive an email from Fermilab telling you that your account is now created.
- Once you receive this email you will need to contact the Service Desk at (+1)630-840-2345 to get the the initial password which you will then need to change (https://passwordreset.fnal.gov/showLogin.cc). When you register with the password reset tool you should select the SERVICES domain.
- Once your SERVICES account has been created the following things will happen
- You will be added to the DES group so that you can access the private Redmine Wiki pages
- You will be entered into the DES membership DB
- An account will be created in the DES Figure Library
- You will be added to the main DES mailing list firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will be added to the DES group so that you can access the Science Portal currently located at FNAL
- A request for a DESDM account will be sent to NCSA.
- You will receive an email with the details listed above.
- You will receive a separate email from DESDM once your account has been created. For additional DESDM items beyond the basic account there is a separate form
- Your Services password expires every 6 months. You will receive an email alerting you to this. It will be sent to the email address that you used when you filled out the initial account request. If you change this email address then you should submit a Service Desk ticket and request that it be updated. Your ID also expires periodically. If your ID expires you will lose access to Redmine. You will receive an email alerting you to the expiry of your ID - it also uses the email you supplied in your account request. DO NOT IGNORE IT. If your account expires because your visitor ID expires then you can renew it on this web page https://fermi.service-now.com/renew_acct_request.do
- If you need an account on the Fermilab DES Computing Cluster (required for running jobs on the Fermilab GPGrid computing resources) then please follow the additional instructions here (note that this page requires you to login to Redmine).
Please note that there is additional general information available at Getting Started with DES that will be visible once you have a Services account.