DEScommittees » History » Version 46
DES Committees and Org Charts¶
The basic structure of the project is set by the Memorandum of Understanding for the Dark Energy Survey.
- Management Committee (MC): represents the interests of the collaboration, decides on issues relating to the collaboration (e.g., new collaboration members, Builders), advises the DES Project Director. Each collaborating institution selects its institutional representative (one per institution, up to two per consortium). The DES Director serves as chair of the MC. The DECam Project Manager, DES Data Management Project Manager, CFIP Project Manager, and CTIO DECam Instrument Scientist are ex-officio members of the MC.
- Executive Committee (EXCOM): helps integrate the different DES construction projects and provide continuity into installation, commissioning, and operations, includes the Project Managers of the different DES projects, serves as Change Control Board for issues that cross project boundaries. DES Project Director chairs.
- Systems Interface Working Group (SIWG): looks in detail at all interface issues and systematically reviews error budgets from a "photons to science" perspective, provides input to the Executive Committee. DES Deputy Project Director chairs. By its nature, the membership is not fixed, but varies according to need.
- Science Committee (SC): according to the Science Committee Charter, the Science Committee has overall responsibility for ensuring that the scientific program of the DES is carried out effectively. It therefore plays an important role in the publication process, as laid out in the DES Publication Policy. The SC comprises a chair or co-chairs plus the co-coordinators of the Science Working Groups, which are the main vehicles for carrying out and coordinating DES science analysis and are open to all DES members and participants.
- DES Organization Chart shows how these things fit together. The DES Project Director reports to both the DOE-NSF Joint Oversight Group (JOG) and the DES Directors' Council, which comprises the Directors of Fermilab, NOAO, and CTIO or their delegates.
- Membership Committee: according to the DES Membership Policy, the Membership Committee makes recommendations to the Management Committee on membership issues, including admission of new members, external collaborators, personal data rights, etc. Also carries out the biennial DES membership survey and maintains the list of DES members and participants.
- You can query the list of DES members here
- Speaker's Bureau: according to the DES Publication Policy, the Speakers Bureau has the primary task of assigning speakers on DES for conferences, responding when someone within the collaboration wishes to give a DES presentation, proactively ensuring that DES is well represented at upcoming conferences, and responding to requests from conference organizers for DES speakers. In the course of doing so, they aim to achieve balance of exposure across the collaboration while giving those primarily responsible for work the opportunity to present it, and they also work to ensure that junior members of the collaboration are given opportunities to present.
- Publication Board: according to the Publication Policy, the Publication Board has the primary task of overseeing the publication process. For more information, see Publications Board wiki.
- Collaboration Meeting Steering Committee: recommends locations and dates for upcoming collaboration meetings and advises local organizers on agendas.