SV Notes for MJD 56234 (starting evening of November 2)¶
|Observer 1||Observer 2||Run Manager||SISPI Expert on Call||Eyeball Squad|
|Soares Santos||Depoy||Soares Santos||Honscheid||Romer|
DECam Configuration and Setup¶
|SISPI Configuration File||sv.ini|
|Image Processing (Calibration)||NCSA|
|Image Processing (First Cut)||NCSA|
Twilight ends 21:33, middle of night to hand over to community SV at 01:26
Moonrise at 22:37, 90% illuminated, 46 degrees away from our Mini-Survey field on Stripe 82.
Observing Plan and Goals for the Night¶
- Standard bias and dome flat sequence during afternoon
- Dark frames if no bright lights needed in dome.
- Please try to get dome open for temperature equilibration at earliest appropriate time, be sure all cooling/ventilation systems are on.
- i-band twilight flats
Operate through night with the baseline Focus&Alignment configuration (Telescope and filter LUTs in use, z Trim on, accumulate). Take note of how large the first focus correction is after slewing to new field: this will determine whether it will be habitually necessary to take a short (~30s) exposure after each slew to allow donuts/AOS to determine new focus position.Monitor Conditions:
- Check on DIMM status, running if at all possible.
- Make sure RASICAM is online if weather conditions permit.
- A few times per night ask the operator to contact the other telescopes on Tololo to get their seeing value. Record those in the eLog.
If good conditions - sky is clear and seeing is <=1.1":
- Photometric standards sequence as soon as dark enough (grizY in 3 fields at different airmasses, preferably one at X < 1.25, one at X = 1.25-1.65 and one at X > 1.65). Follow link for the suggested fields and scripts. Douglas suggests standards can begin 30 min before astronomical twilight.
- SN template observations in gr until moon elevates sky brightness (should have time to do 8 shallow fields at ~7 min each, or 2 deep fields at ~30 min each).
- SN template observations in iz for remainder of half-night (will not have time to complete all of them)
- 1:10 AM repeat another photometric standards sequence of grizY in 3 fields.
- Additional grizY exposures in 2 fields for Sky Brightness Measurements
- Request of Dara to repeat grizY standards in 2 or 3 fields at AM twilight.
- Photometric standards in evening twilight
- StarFlat sequences of 20 wide dithers in each grizY (g and r first, with Moon down). Move to lowest accessible Galactic latitude (b>=10 degrees) to increase stellar density w/o crowding. Should take ~20 x (80+30)s = 37 min per filter, ~3 hrs total.
- If time permits: Polar Axis determination exposures.
- Photometric standards at 1:10 AM
- Photometric standards at evening and 1:10 AM if thin clouds or clear
- Take StarFlat sequence in i band if thin clouds or clear
- Polar Axis determination
- DECal sweeps that were not completed during commissioning
- Take 2 focus frames in i band, 25 um steps +- 100 um from donut-recommended best focus position. [This is to determine best focus for science array relative to best focus for F/A CCDs.]