Old SV Home Page¶
Return to current home page
Science Verification provides an end-to-end test of all the systems needed to actually conduct the survey, both on the mountain and elsewhere. Successfully passing the formal acceptance requirements is a necessary condition for DES to begin (along with corresponding acceptance tests of DES DM and the Community Pipeline).
SV Squad Organization¶
- SV Job list
- Team Members
- SV Charge
- November SV Schedule
- Extended SV Schedule
- Teleconference Information
Next conference: Monday 25 March, 11 AM EDT
- Commissioning Tests - page with tests done on Commissioning data
- Punch List - Issues discovered with hardware and software that need to be corrected. Also contains log of configuration changes to hardware/software.
- Also see table (top of the page) for Requirement testing status.
- Flat Fields
- Donut Results
- BCAM Results
- Image Quality Results - Whisker plots, fwhm, whisker length for some of exposures.
- Star catalog for comparison - Star catalogs of some exposures on 11/22/2012 for comparing across the fwhm/whisker from different methods
- Cluster Coadd Data
- Depth Measurements
- SExtractor DETMODEL Tests
Issues currently being worked:¶
- A/B ratio variation
- Flat-field structure
- Rasicam thresholds need recalibrating; the lore is that the images are sometimes unrelated to the clouds in the sky. The lore is of course, incorrect. The images sometimes threshold out the least dense regions of clouds. Postprocessing is expected to fix this. The "global clear" flag is a reasonable guide.
- Image Health seeing and Obstac
- Nonlinear Crosstalk
- Bad seeing and bad ellipticity data distribution on the sky
- Image Quality Diagnostics
- Non-linearity at large ADU
- Bad pixel mask
SV Work Areas¶
- Datasets Table: What data will be / has been taken, coordinates, which exposures, who is running pipeline, who needs results.
- Exposures Lists of useful exposures and notes on specific exposures.
- Eyeball Examination of all images
- Table of SV Requirements and Goals
- Observing Plans - page with info on targets and observing plans, circumstances.
- Requirements and Goals: Note that lists Requirement Categories wiki page are now deprecated as official versions are on the docdb SV Plan.
- Some more detail on SV Calibration Plan
- Regression Tests - page to write suggestions for tests that DES should repeat on a regular basis after SV.
- Guider Plots, a time series from 12/15, and Guider Plots 2 a collection of plots (QR, guider, donut, and BCAM) from 12/15
and why they show something is shifting in the primary-camera barrel system.
- Seeing Histograms - Histograms of seeing during SV
- Pointing Model - Pointing errors and model fits
- Ghosting Analyses - Origin and measurement of ghost reflections
- SPT-E (East Commish) List of Exposures with poor Seeing
SV Requirements and Goals¶Resources needed for Req/goals. Make a new page for each Req/goal and link it here. (OK to combine similar req/goals onto one resource page).
- Template Resource Needs
- Signals/Noise Resource Needs
- Relative Photometric Calibration Resource Needs
- Absolute Photometric Calibration Resource Needs
- Astrometry Resource Needs
- Galaxy Photometry Resource Needs
- Photo-z Resource Needs
- Star Galaxy Separation Resource Needs
- Anomalies Resource Needs
- Mask Resource Needs
SV will use a stand-alone version of the DES DM software stack. Work is going on at Fermilab to package the software for easy distribution for use not only at CTIO but also machines at the home institutions of SV Squad members.
Robert and his team at NCSA are currently working on version 7.0 of the stack which we plan to use for both DC7 and science verification. Brian and his team at Fermilab have successfully compiled version 6.3.2 under RHEL/SL 6 and 64 bits. An intermediate version - the postgres branch of the svn repository - has been compiled at OSU.
- DES DM Image Access
- Stand-Alone Calibration Routines
- DES DM Stack Installation Notes
- DES DM precal Notes
- DES DM Tools and Webpages
- DES DM Image Processing Documentation
- Notes about DECam_crosstalk, mkbiascor, and mkflatcor
- Master Calibration Frames
- Running Standalone Reduction Pipeline at CTIO
A manifest of codes (beyond the DM pipeline) needed to execute SV - plus the ones we will provide for Commissioning - is now posted as docdb-6629. Please help complete this spreadsheet with codes you have written or will need to write.
SV related documents under development.¶
- DES Science Verification Plan - current version 0.04 now kept as (docdb-6549)
- Enter any comments on this document on SV Plan Comments
- Older version 0.03 linked at bottom of this page.
- SV Software Manifest: docdb-6629.
- Please keep this updated by editing the Excel on docdb and posting new versions there.
- Science Requirements Traceback - now kept at (docdb-6550)
- Version 0.1 linked at bottom of this page
- SV Observation Plan
Additional Information and Documents:¶
- DECam commissioning plan: (docDB #3734). This document lays out the protocols, tasks, and schedule to accomplish commissioning of the DECam instrument and support systems on the CTIO Blanco telescope.
- observing and science verification
- The DES Science Requirements Document (docDB #20)
- science working groups
- Preliminary plan outlining verification and validation tests for the large scale structure group from Stanford (!!!) collaboration meeting (docDB #3945). The latest version (though outdated too) describing DC6B tests and some ideas for SV is in (docDB #4497).
- Data quality tests that can be run on real survey data to verify Cluster data quality requirements: (docDB #6462)
- Photo-z Working Group Acceptance Testing for DC6B (docDB #4914)
- Texas Collaboration Meeting Agendae
Observations: Locations of 1st year fields¶
West SPT Deep field: −17 ≤ra≤ 2 −58 ≤dec≤ −49 10 tilings, skip if SV stars after Nov 7 Spectroscopic Training field: 14 ≤ra≤ 40 −7 ≤dec≤ 3 10 tilings, skip if SV stars after Dec 7 Maximum Visibility field: 65 ≤ra≤ 90 −58 ≤dec≤ −48 10 tilings, skip if SV stars after Dec 14, or Dec 21, or... then go to Cosmos/Mini Survey SPT Main Survey area: 20 ≤ra≤ 105 −65 ≤dec≤ −40 2 tilings, use extra time to get, so area observed drops as SV starts later
- Observation Strategy
- Data Management
Science Working Groups¶
- DECam Operations
We are fine-tuned this page during year zero. Soon there will be a DES specific page so that DECam User's don't get caught up in DES-only procedures.
- DES Operations