LSST Notes 16Sep2010¶
Three areas within LSST
- data management (DM) - Jeff Carter runs this
Don Sweeney (project manager)
Sydney ??? (president of LSST corp)
Craig Hogan is highly regarded
NCSA - Archive center and US data access center
Proposed FNAL as US data access center, scientist access focus
LPC-like role? Tier-1 center role? perhaps.
Is this the Dark Energy Center? perhaps the DEC is connected to it or the analysis part of it.
possible to get $1M/year ($500K M&S / $500K people)
NCSA - help with workflow management? possibly. Not main task for FNAL, only a part in helping.
Encouraging us to attend workshop at NCSA next week. Want to know by tomorrow. (Eric Neilsen?)
1) Interest: SDQA -> big, ill-defined (pipeline), separate path for DQM (this thing), turns out that
IPAC cannot complete this task, way behind, needs definition and plan made at scientist-level.
IPAC has not come through with the pieces they promised.
2) User workspace toolkit, science analysis stuff, finding tool set, putting together framework, integrating a package with all this stuff. Workshop at IPAC on this stuff in Nov or Jan.
Keywords: FNAL will be part. Development related
- C++ / python
- build bot
- RH linux
- gcc / intel compiler
- enterprise architect
- UML heavy
- MS project
- software development policy and plan
- sysml (part of the enterprise architect)
- iconics process (agile, middle ground)