Support #22753

Lots of spurious xmlrpc messages seen in logs in artdaq v3_5_0 system

Added by Kurt Biery 10 months ago. Updated 6 months ago.

Target version:
Start date:
Due date:
% Done:


Estimated time:


I see lots of messages like the following in the artdaq process logs in an artdaq-v3_5_0-based system at protoDUNE:

Back from xmlrpc_string_new_lp
wrapper constructed
value_string constructor exiting
value_string constructor entered
Going to call xmlrpc_string_new_lp
length = 6, value = Booted

I suspect that these messages are going into the PMT log in artdaq-demo systems.

Can we disable these somehow?

Related issues

Related to artdaq - Support #23036: Observations from attempting to install and run the artdaq_demo v3_6_0New08/01/2019


#1 Updated by Eric Flumerfelt 10 months ago

This is caused by xmlrpc_c inexplicably leaving debug print statements in a so-called "stable" release. We have a few options:
  1. Go back to a previous version of xmlrpc_c, making sure that it compiles with e19 and c7
  2. Move to a newer version of xmlrpc_c, assuming that the problem has been fixed
  3. Patch the current version to make sure these printouts are removed

#2 Updated by Eric Flumerfelt 10 months ago

I have found the problem in the build-framework-xmlrpc-c-ssi-build repository: there were two patch files for this issue, but only one was being applied. Since this is already a distributed product, the best way forward is probably to add an a to the version and make a new set of tarballs. The next artdaq release would then use that version of xmlrpc_c.

#3 Updated by Kurt Biery 8 months ago

  • Priority changed from Normal to High

I see that these messages are still around in an artdaq_demo 3.6.0 system, so I'm raising the priority of this issue.

#4 Updated by Kurt Biery 8 months ago

  • Related to Support #23036: Observations from attempting to install and run the artdaq_demo v3_6_0 added

#5 Updated by Kurt Biery 8 months ago

Eric, thanks for the patched version of xmlrpc_c (v1_51_03a). Tests with the updated version of the demo v3_06_00 confirm that the messages are gone.
The timing of this is nice. This morning, Phil Rodrigues (protoDUNE) asked about getting rid of these messages, and it was nice to be able to report that a fix can be deployed at a convenient time.
Thanks again.

#6 Updated by Eric Flumerfelt 6 months ago

  • Target version set to artdaq v3_06_01
  • Status changed from New to Closed

XMLRPC v1_51_03a standard in artdaq v3_06_01 release.

Also available in: Atom PDF