Support to run test and periodic scripts within Singularity
Currently, the Glidein can run arbitrary user scripts:
- before starting condor (to test and setup the node)
- periodically to test the node or to monitor (startd cron jobs)
All these scripts run outside Singularity
Users writing the script can invoke Singularity on their own if they like it
Since 3.4.1 there is a library that makes this easier (singularity_lib.sh)
The next step (the goal of this ticket) is to allow VOs to do that with an option in the script description in the config file (like they do to say if a script is periodic or not)
#12 Updated by Marco Mambelli 3 months ago
- Target version changed from v3_6_6 to v3_7_1
- Assignee changed from Marco Mambelli to Dennis Box
- Status changed from Work in progress to Feedback
Changes are in v37/21885
It was moved to the 3.7.x series because it introduces a new configuration attribute for the files: type, defaulting to an empty value. The solution should be compatible w/ older configurations and allow interactions of w/ older factories or frontends.
For the feature to work the Factory has to be w/ these changes and if the file definition is in the Frontend configuration, then also the Frontend has to have the changes.
Otherwise, the test script will run but not in singularity
This ticket allows running setup scripts in singularity, with an environment similar to the one of the job.
The running of periodic scripts in singularity has been moved to [#25096]:
- HTCondor may provide a mechanism to run startd_cron scripts in singularity
- the current mechanism (script re-invoking itself) may not work in startd_cron
It could actually work with little or no changes but should be verified, especially the function adding the script in the condor configuration and the ability to access the environment and the files.
This ticket started also the foundations for [#25073], by adding some definitions and an implicit pre-script from the refactoring of the default_singularity_job_wrapper.
#16 Updated by Bruno Coimbra 3 months ago
- Assignee changed from Bruno Coimbra to Marco Mambelli
- Status changed from Feedback to Assigned
All looks good to me. Shellcheck recomends a few style changes.
Shellcheck recomends using $(...) notation instead of legacy backticked `...`