Project

General

Profile

Support #21500

NOvA Request for new nutools release

Added by Thomas Warburton 9 months ago. Updated 7 months ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
Target version:
-
Start date:
02/04/2019
Due date:
% Done:

100%

Estimated time:
20.00 h (Total: 28.00 h)
Duration:

Description

Hi,

I'm unsure if some of these requests will get rolled into other planned requests, however I will articulate the NOvA request in full so that nothing is missed.

We would like to request a new nutools version with the following;
  • Latest release in the art2 branch -> v2.12.
  • Latest release of Genie - v3.0.2 with reweighting package.
  • Latest release of GEANT4 - v4_10_4_p02 (the most up-to-date version as of May 25).
  • Latest version of Tensorflow - v1.12 (or at least newer than v1.7).

Ideally we would have this available before the end of the year so that we can begin to make validation files over the holiday break.

Thanks in advance,
Karl


Subtasks

Support #21833: geant4 v4_10_4_p02 with patch for NOvAClosedLynn Garren

History

#1 Updated by Kyle Knoepfel 9 months ago

  • Status changed from New to Accepted

This issue is blocked until there is an art 2.12 series.

#2 Updated by Lynn Garren 9 months ago

We are also still waiting for the genie tag.

#3 Updated by Thomas Warburton 9 months ago

Hi Lynn,

We received an email today from Robert saying that they have cut a new GENIE tag yesterday.

Cheers,
Karl

#4 Updated by Thomas Warburton 7 months ago

Hi Lynn,

Things have moved quite quickly in the background on NOvA in the last week, and the nutools version is now one of the main schedule drivers.

We would like to request a new tag without an updated tensor flow (to be revisited later).
There is also a new version of PPFX that Leo is currently working on. We would also like to include that once it is available.

If it works for you, Leo and I would like to have a chat about cutting the new nutools release at some time this afternoon.

Cheers,
Karl

#5 Updated by Lynn Garren 7 months ago

  • Estimated time set to 20.00 h
  • Assignee set to Lynn Garren
  • Status changed from Accepted to Assigned

After a discussion this afternoon, a number of fixes have been made to ppfx and v02_04 is now tagged.

#6 Updated by Matthew Strait 7 months ago

Hi Lynn,

We'd like to apply this patch to Geant for our build:

https://bugzilla-geant4.kek.jp/show_bug.cgi?id=2121

This is approved by Alex H and the DetSim group.

It's against HEAD, but should apply cleanly to 10_4_p02 or anything else recent. Let me know if there are any difficulties.

Thanks,
Matt

#7 Updated by Lynn Garren 7 months ago

The request for a new geant4 release may considerably delay nutools and should be made as a separate request. Would you please make a new ticket and also tell us why you need the patch? You can link the request to this ticket. Thank you

#8 Updated by Alexander Himmel 7 months ago

Hmmm... I think I got the impression we were requesting a new geant4 build as part of the nutools request already, so a patch would be a relatively small perturbation. Can you be a little more specific about what "considerable" means? We're willing to wait a couple days, but if it's going to be much longer than that we may need to pass.

As to why, we have a systematic on muon range whose purpose is to cover a mistake in the way Geant4 is modeling our muon catcher, which is fixed by this patch. We'd rather just fix the mistake and remove the systematic if we can.

#9 Updated by Lynn Garren 7 months ago

Actually, there is already a geant4 v4_10_4_p02a release. It is part of the mu v2_12_00 distribution.

#10 Updated by Lynn Garren 7 months ago

  • Start date changed from 12/07/2018 to 02/04/2019
  • Due date set to 02/04/2019

due to changes in a related task: #21833

#11 Updated by Lynn Garren 7 months ago

  • nutools v2_28_00 tagged and ready to build
  • geant4 v4_10_4_p02b built and ready
  • ppfx v02_04 tagged and ready to build
  • genie v3_00_02 ready to build for e15
  • ifdh_art v2_07_01 tagged and ready to build

Currently testing the nu distribution build to make sure it's ready to build. Tensorflow will not be part of this distribution.

#12 Updated by Lynn Garren 7 months ago

  • Status changed from Assigned to Resolved

An e15 build of nutools v2_28_00 is now available. See http://scisoft.fnal.gov/scisoft/bundles/nu/v2_28_00/nu-v2_28_00.html

#13 Updated by Alexander Himmel 7 months ago

FYI -- with the new nutools build we were able to check Geant and it shows the intended effect.

#14 Updated by Lynn Garren 7 months ago

  • Status changed from Resolved to Closed


Also available in: Atom PDF