Project

General

Profile

Bug #20147

Filtering in TransferOutput causes online monitoring to fail

Added by John Freeman over 2 years ago. Updated almost 2 years ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
High
Category:
Known Issues
Target version:
Start date:
06/11/2018
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:
Experiment:
-
Co-Assignees:
Duration:

Description

I've been investigating the use of filtering in the TransferOutput module, and am finding the following: if I put ANY filter into TransferOutput, the init event doesn't make it to online monitoring, and monitoring fails. E.g., if I install artdaq-demo via:

./quick-mrb-start.sh --tag=v3_02_01

as I did in mu2edaq01:/home/jcfree/artdaq-demo_v3_02_01_online_monitoring_study, open a terminal and run DAQInterface out of /home/jcfree/artdaq-demo_v3_02_01_online_monitoring_study/DAQInterface:
just_do_it.sh $PWD/boot.txt 0 --config demo --comps component01

and then in another terminal, perform online monitoring with the usual FHiCL document:
art -c  ./srcs/artdaq_demo/tools/fcl/TransferInputShmem.fcl

then everything works as it should. If, however, I edit TransferInputShmem.fcl by adding the following to the previously-empty physics table in the dispatcher_config table:
filters: {

   prescale: {

   module_type: Prescaler

   prescaleFactor: 1
   prescaleOffset: 0
   }
 }


i.e., an instance of art's Prescale module with parameters set to allow all events through, and make it filter in the TransferOutput:
           module_type: TransferOutput
          SelectEvents: { SelectEvents: [ prescale ] }

...then when I run the same command, the init fragment doesn't make it to the online monitor. Anecdotally, playing around with this on the protoDUNE cluster, I've noticed the same phenomenon - that putting the SelectEvents line into TransferOutput, regardless of filter module, ruins the monitoring. I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious or if there's an issue that needs to be fixed with artdaq v3_02_01.

History

#1 Updated by Eric Flumerfelt over 2 years ago

As a sanity check, did this work in v3_02_00?

#2 Updated by John Freeman over 2 years ago

I just tried the same thing I described above, but with v3_02_00 instead of v3_02_01 (mu2edaq01:/home/jcfree/artdaq-demo_v3_02_00_online_monitoring_study). Same phenomenon.

#3 Updated by Eric Flumerfelt over 2 years ago

  • Category set to Known Issues
  • Priority changed from Normal to High
  • Target version set to artdaq Next Release

All right, then I posit that this functionality may never have worked in artdaq v3, and additional development is necessary to get it working.

#4 Updated by Eric Flumerfelt about 2 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Resolved
  • Assignee set to Eric Flumerfelt

Resolved with commit:1f50366. Had to add another obscure configuration parameter for TransferInput's dispatcher_config.

Syntax: filter_paths: [ { name: PATH_NAME path: [ FILTER1, FILTER2, ... ] }, ... ]

#5 Updated by Eric Flumerfelt almost 2 years ago

  • Status changed from Resolved to Closed
  • Target version changed from artdaq Next Release to artdaq v3_03_00


Also available in: Atom PDF