Necessary Maintenance #19010
Necessary Maintenance #19013: Implement tests for ensuring backwards compatibility
Producer for testing backwards compatibility
As discussed in the Backward_compatibility_testing_for_art_releases page, we need to be able to produce files with old versions of art and then analyze those files with whatever the current version of art is. This issue focuses on the creation of files and products using a variety of file formats, as discussed in the aforementioned link.
- A producer module for each file format version will create an art/ROOT file with products described by the list under the plan for testing.
- This file will be stored on the persistent dCache area to which we have access.
- The producer modules for each file format version need not be code-wise identical, but they are intended to create products that, when read by the current version of art, can be accessed and interpreted (almost) identically by the user. The "almost" qualifier refers to products created under file-format 8, which have no on-disk
RangeSetinformation, and therefore must be assigned an approximate
RangeSetby whatever the current version of art is.
- We must determine on which art repository branches these producer modules will live.
- It is intended to only run the producer modules whenever a new/updated file should be written to the dCache area.