Project

General

Profile

Bug #13594

create_condor_tarball fails to include required globus libraries from lib/condor that are loaded at runtime

Added by Parag Mhashilkar over 3 years ago. Updated over 3 years ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
Parag Mhashilkar
Category:
-
Target version:
Start date:
08/18/2016
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:
First Occurred:
Occurs In:
Stakeholders:
Duration:

Description

Starting HTCondor 8.3.2 (and hence 8.4+) Globus libraries are loaded at runtime. As a result condor_tarball creation script that uses ldd to determine the required libraries excludes several globus libraries. This causes glidein to fail on worker nodes with required globus libraries installed in the WN.

As per Jaime, we can blacklist following libs

  • libglobus_ftp_*
  • libglobus_gass_*
  • libglobus_gram_*
  • libglobus_rsl_*

Some more info on the tarball size created:

  • HTCondor v8.2.8 that includes required globus libs: 4.6 MB
  • HTCondor v8.4.3 that includes only required globus libs: 3.2 MB
  • HTCondor v8.4.3 that includes all libs in lib/condor: 4.4 MB
  • HTCondor v8.4.3 that is missing required globus libs: 2.6 MB

Original mail from Brian

Hi all,

I realized today why the glideinWMS pilot tarball creation script (that takes a condor version and produces an appropriately stripped-down tarball for use in a pilot) is missing the globus libraries.
When we converted the shadow from dynamically linking against Globus to loading Globus at runtime, the dependency auto-detection (which is based on `ldd`) broke.
So - is there any way, given a set of condor binaries, to determine what globus libraries are needed?  IIRC, this is harder than a simple list of library names as we need the major ABI version too (i.e., libglobus_gssapi_gsi.so.4 not libglobus_gssapi_gsi.so).
Thoughts?

Thanks!
Brian
patch.13594 (3.92 KB) patch.13594 Parag Mhashilkar, 08/22/2016 02:21 PM

History

#1 Updated by Parag Mhashilkar over 3 years ago

  • Target version set to v3_2_16

#2 Updated by Parag Mhashilkar over 3 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Feedback
  • Assignee changed from Parag Mhashilkar to Marco Mascheroni

After some back and forth conversation with Brian, Jeff and HTCondor team, we decided to add lib/condor and not worry about blacklist in favor of keeping the solution simple

#3 Updated by Parag Mhashilkar over 3 years ago

  • Assignee changed from Marco Mascheroni to Marco Mambelli

Reassigning it to Marco Mambelli

#4 Updated by Parag Mhashilkar over 3 years ago

  • File patch.13594 patch.13594 added
  • Status changed from Feedback to Resolved
  • Assignee changed from Marco Mambelli to Parag Mhashilkar

Marco sent feedback separately. Merged the changes to branch_v3_2 and master.

#5 Updated by Parag Mhashilkar over 3 years ago

  • Status changed from Resolved to Closed


Also available in: Atom PDF