user shrc setup migration from afs to /grid/fermiapp
Fermilab is shutting down AFS around May 2016.
Standard user .shrc and .bashrc files get UPS from AFS.
We need to decide to do nothing, or change this to /grid/fermiapp
This involves the users, via Liaisons.
#1 Updated by Arthur Kreymer over 3 years ago
See draft CHG000000010959
The choices seem to be :
- Do nothing, and let users manage this in their .bashrc/.cshrc .
- trivial to implement
- likely large impact with lots of user education.
- Install this for all users in place of the old AFS code .
- not too hard
- requires root access to login area
- maximal uniformity
- Modify the AFS setup script to remove itself automatically .
- Not too hard
- no root access
- very non-uniform, works only until AFS shuts down.
- Do we do both .bashrc and .cshrc ?
#2 Updated by Marc Mengel over 3 years ago
(Adding Andy Romero as a watcher...)
I have a prototype script (attached) to actually convert people's .profile/.login/.shrc/.cshrc files if we have permission to do so.
If we want to run it over people's home directories en-masse, we need to
have someone with sufficient privileges run it and add a loop to run it
in each home directory...